Scissors and Bicycle
Goals & Benefits:
- Opens the front of the hip and stretches the hip flexors.
- Builds length and stability in the body in the inverted position.
- Creates balance.
- Challenges the nervous system by being upside down.
- Builds strength in the hamstrings and stretches the front of the legs.
- Decompresses the spine in an inverted position.
- Encourages fluid movement while stabilizing the torso.
Tips & Cues:
- Focus on reaching the forward leg away from you so the body doesn’t get heavy on your neck, shoulders, and wrists.
- Keep the neck long throughout.
- Use the seat to support the straight reaching legs.
- Keep the body solid as the legs move to build stability and balance.
- Remain lifted and still throughout the leg movements.
- Lift the weight of the body off of the arms and shoulders with the reach of the legs.
- Keep the belly in and up so the lower back doesn’t over-arch.
- The goal is to be able to touch the floor with the front reaching toe.