Tone It Up with Nie...

Notifications
Clear all

Tone It Up with Niedra

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Grab a pair of arm weights for a full body workout blast! Niedra's detailed instructions keep you in your groove as she adds in fun variations of exercises normally done on Pilates apparatus. For instance, you’ll learn the Rowing series on the Mat and much more. Visit Niedra at her website: www.spirit-moves.com.

Thank you Niedra. Smooth but equally deep exercise! Feeling good 🙂

I like your workout, but I have not worked with weights since I detached the tendon that holds my left bicep in place at my shoulder. This happened about three years ago, but my doctor said that I should just live with it as, at my age (70), I shouldn't have to have surgery. In fact, I have not had any subsequent problems with my bicep. I am very healthy and have been doing Pilates for 20 years (the first 7 years with a trainer). I am also very flexible as I used to dance when I was younger. Is there any position or movement I should avoid for my condition if I do go back to using a weight? Also, the smallest weight I have is 3 lbs. and I suspect that is too much.

Niedra Gabriel Niedra Gabriel Topic starter 23/07/2017 1:30 pm

Hello Rosemarie, I think your doctor is wise in not advising surgery - so much can be done when you treat the body appropriately.
Hard for me to advise you with out knowing , seeing or observing your body, but here goes: 3 lb weights are definitely too heavy, get some 1 lb weights to start with and test this approach.

Most important is to be very sensitive to what you feel as you work with the weights - only you can feel what is happening in side.
I would make sure your shoulder blade is anchored on your back and shoulders are down, so your lats are supporting both the shoulder girdle and trunk. Then do the movements with the weights listening to what is happening - if anything feels off , stop!

Judging by your description - weight training of some sort ( apparatus is included in this statement) as if you are already flexible you probably have ver loose muscle structure and that was the pre curser to your injury. Too much movement happening form the tendons and not enough muscles support. See if you can find a teacher to work with you ..
Good luck

That felt great! Thank you!