Sculpting Mat Revis...

Notifications
Clear all

Sculpting Mat Revisited

32 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Spice up your mat by adding Arm & Leg Weights to the mix. Romana often used Leg Weights during the Side Kicks Series to help sculpt the muscles of the hips, glutes and thighs and Alisa adds to that work with several Reformer exercises that feel great when worked on the mat. You’ll appreciate the weights during exercises like Roll Up when the leg weights provide an anchor for your lower body, and you’ll discover how they can help you work deeply in your center to control the added weight on exercises like Leg Circles. There's plenty of attention to the arms here too with Push Ups followed by Arm Weights Series and more. Near the end, Alisa takes off the leg weights when she wants your legs to feel light, making the Teaser and Kneeling Side Kicks perhaps a bit more doable. WEIGHT RECOMMENDATION: 1 or 2 lb. Arm Weights; 1/2 lb. to 2 lb. Leg Weights - the first time you do this workout, use lighter weights than you think you need.

18 Answers

Loved it!! Thank you!!

Awesome full body! I have used leg weights before but some new variations....I really liked your prep for rollover then into short spine! Felt amazing! Great use of reformer exercises and thanks for emphasizing the booty during the short/flat back....I think that is underemphasized too much! Great fun!!!!!

Yes!

My butt hurt in places I didn't know existed - very refreshing after doing Pilates for more than 10 years! My butt thanks you for giving it a kickstart. LOL! Especially liked the breastroke on the mat.

Definitely adding this to my favourites.

Sooooo, so, so cute! and at the same time brutal. Loved the teaser, roll over, swimming combination and the elephant walking too.

Topic starter

I'm so pleased everyone is loving this class!! I really enjoyed teaching it and will do some more fun ones with weights for all of you hard workers.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 22/04/2013 8:36 am

Thank you Tbara! I'm doing another one of these soon :).

WOW!! What a workout! I loved the sight changes the ankle weights created to intensify my muscles. I've done the mat thousands of times and this session brought tons of new insights. Thank you for sharing!!! I had fun:)

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 07/01/2013 9:24 pm

Thanks PilatesJuliet!

I just LOVE this class!!! It is so AWESOME - thanks soooo much Alisa!

Hi Alisa, love this class, it is challenging and very satisfying once finished! Can you tell me, how many times a week would you recommend doing this particular class? I do 5 classes a week, so should I do this just once a week or should I try and do it more? I am at an intemediate stage, so I try and do at least one instructional class a week so help me progress. But, I just love it all, I am really seeing the results and I have only been back doing Pilates just over 2 weeks! Thank you!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 21/09/2013 9:12 pm

Hi Victoria! Sorry it took me so long to write back, we have been on vacation :). Great to hear that you're seeing results from your workouts!! To answer your question, you can definitely do this class more than 1x a week--I would say up to 3x so long as your body is liking it. If you end up really sore, switch it out with a class that doesn't include weights or do it without the weights. Or just take a day off--I find that the stronger you get, the quicker your body will respond to a bit of recovery time.

Fantastic class, favourite of my favourites! It has everything in what my body needs. Thank you Alisa.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 26/10/2013 10:24 pm

Wow thank you Katarzyna, that is so great to hear!

Super Fun Alisa! I do have to take a shower as well....I'm a sweaty mess. Love the way the weights feel during the exercises! Definitely a favorite class.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 07/07/2014 11:39 am

Lol!! I'm glad I'm not the only one who sweats! Thanks!

Absolutely enjoyed this class. I love working with the weights as I used to be a gym bunnie that was before I found pilates!! Excellent to work with them not just against them! Thank you so much for sharing this!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 28/10/2014 10:58 pm

Thanks Kate!!

Awesome,awesome! Now I need to get the leg weights 🙂

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 07/03/2016 2:31 pm

Thanks for joining me for that one Kara, the leg weights feel really great--you should definitely get some!

Kara Wily Kara Wily 13/06/2016 8:06 am

Finally added the leg weights. This was great. I mean not only super challenging, but took the body on a good ride. Thank you! Really loving adding the leg weights for some new experiences.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 14/06/2016 3:57 pm

You know I haven't used those in ages and your note makes me want to bust the leg weights out right now. It feels so great! Thanks for the reminder Kara!

Thank you.

Page 1 / 2