Reformer Series - 1...

Notifications
Clear all

Reformer Series - 1 of 4 - The Basics

18 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

The first class in this progressive series emphasizes learning smooth transitions. Alisa explains the reasons for exercises to help you understand what each is doing for your body as well as ways to adjust for the better results. You’ll learn the basics of exercises like Stomach Massage, Short Box and Elephant and, as the series progresses, these will become more complex. Transitions taught include: how to sit down properly, get ready for the 100, how to sit up to change springs, adding extension straps for Leg Circles and Frog, Stomach Massage, setting up for Short Box, the proper hand and body position for Elephant, Kneeling Knee Stretches, Running and Pelvic Lift.

Next Class

Hi, Alisa,

I always enjoy your classes very much. Recently, I went to a different pilates studio and I now I am facing a "big" problem. In the old studio, where I was going for the last 5,5 years, they insisted on having all of my back on the reformer mat, and my tailbone a littlt bit turned in. In the new studio they work with neutral spine and the pubis parallel to the mat, as if having on top of it a glass of water that must not drop. My new teacher told me that the previous way of working made me have tight and tensed hip joints. This is the reason that I watced that beginner video, to see your position on the reformer, but I didn't see much. What can or must I do? Thank you, in advance. Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 23/12/2012 11:43 pm

Hi loulzaleo, This is a very good question that you already have the answer to in your body. Please try to leave aside any 'rules' about how your spine is placed on the mat and ask yourself how your body feels. Does either way of working make you feel tight or cause pain? Which style of teaching do you enjoy? If the answer is both, then try not to get too caught up in the differences in your teachers and go with whatever it is they ask you to try when you are with them--the best teachers are those who can apply Pilates to your own particular needs and who make you feel good about your body.

Avatar mls292 01/08/2013 3:57 pm

That is a lovely answer, Alisa. Thanks for that.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 08/08/2013 7:12 pm

Thanks so much, I have personally experienced so many wonderful teachers from all styles of Pilates.

Thank you very much for this answer. It unlocked me in many ways!!!!!!!!!!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 27/12/2012 2:31 pm

You're so welcome, having had this same confusion in my own journey it's great to know I'm not alone!

This was my first ever Pilates class let alone on the new Reformer I purchased. I have been looking for an exercise regimen that I wouldn't hate that would help me build strength and lose weight and balance my mind and spirit and I think I have found it!!!

One class in and I loved it! Can't wait for class two tomorrow and to be able to do this in my own home is wonderful!! Thank you so much!!! As a 44 year old woman looking to build strength, lose 20 lbs and get healthy again I think this might be just the ticket!!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 12/01/2014 5:33 pm

Karyn I was so delighted to find your note this morning!! I felt exactly the same way when I found Pilates, congratulations on what I hope is the beginning of a lifelong journey for you. We love hearing about your experience and needs so please feel free to let us know what you want to see more of or have difficulty with!!!

Alisa Wyatt
Great class with excellent explanation. I have a balanced body Pilates allegro reformer and I don't have the stabilizing foot strap. What kind of strap do I need?

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 22/02/2016 6:55 pm

Hi Caboose, thanks for working out with me :)!
You can find a foot strap for your allegro here (I looked up allegro and found this under accessories, when you click on Foot Straps it shows what straps fit each model allegro. Balanced Body has great customer service so call them if you're confused). http://www.pilates.com/BBAPP/V/store/reformers/allegro-pilates-reformer.html

Hi, Alisa.
Watch your class was a delightful experience for me. You make it very clear, simple and pleasant. Thanks so much for that!

Hi Alisa,

I am very interested in getting my own reformer for the home, but they can run in the thousands. I saw an affordable machine with a cardio jumpboard by Stanima Aeropilates. Have you heard anything about these reformers? Thanks.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 02/05/2016 11:09 am

Hi yogamama,
I've used an old one and nothing like using a professional version but if it helps you be more consistent with your practice (and you're positive it won't just collect dust) then go for it. Do purchase the box and pole that come with it so that you can practice along with a wider variety of videos.

Really enjoyed this workout, great cueing, thanks so much Alisa

I really enjoyed this practice. It's amazing how much more demanding the movements are when you fine tune your alignment.

This was THE perfect class with which to "baptize" (with sweat) my new Gratz and you were the perfect instructor Alisa. I've been waiting for this since placing the order. The Gratz is sooo very different from my home performer! I love that last inch that's purely me finishing out the movement! My body feels alive, balanced and ready to go! Thank you!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 28/09/2017 10:25 am

What an honor Lannette!! 🙂