Alisa's Reformer on...

Notifications
Clear all

Alisa's Reformer on the Mat

26 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

This mix of mat blended with reformer exercises will leave your bottom sore! Alisa teaches variations of Reformer exercises such as Footwork done standing up, Tree, Tendon Stretch, Russian & Front Splits combo, Kneeling Knee Stretches variations, and Standing Lunges.

Wow,
love this class! I'm beginner/intermediate but tried it anyway and it was a great challenge that I needed. This is the final day of my 10 day trial and I think I'll stick around for a while!

Great class! I've been practicing pilates for about 7 years, and this was still challenging. I loved the flow as well - even when Alisa explains/clarifies movements, the class does not pause.

That was awesome, totally got me sweating and there were exercises I hadn't tried yet! Why does the class stop after 39 min, but the video keeps going (with only a black screen) until 45:47? I want 5 min more!!!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 30/01/2012 10:37 am

I'm so glad you like the class! Thanks for your note about the ending, there's an editing mistake in that video and it slipped past us. It will be fixed in a couple of weeks so come back for more! Alisa

Topic starter

This video is FIXED! it now has the full 45 minutes of original footage. Lets call this "the Directors Cut" un-editied version.

Avatar aubyn 05/03/2012 10:29 am

Thanks for fixing it! That bit in the beginning was crazy, it didn't seem like much, but it made the whole work out harder, my legs were shaking! This is my favorite workout on the website. My bum and thighs are always sore after I do this one. Do you ever use those small, soft weighted balls? I would love to see an advanced video on here that shows how to use the balls to make the exercises work more/different muscles.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 16/03/2012 11:06 am

You're welcome!! I love that workout too, it always leave me sore all over. I will do more like this one so you'll have some variety and in June, we'll be putting up classes with the teacher who shared some of these genius moves with me. You will love him! The small weighted balls weren't something Joe used in his studio so they are not technically a classical prop but I will check with Jay to see if there's a legit way to use them :).

OOOeerr this looks interesting...I'll try it later
!

Loved it. We moved along quickly with no fuss, got a good strong abdominal workout and tweaked lots of muscles that don't get that much attention in a regular mat workout, ie standing glute work, hamstrings. Great if you're needing a class that makes you feel thoroughly worked over!

I just joined yesterday. This was my first workout and I loved it! I love all your cues Alisa.
So happy I found Pilatesology!!
geraldine

This was really good.May I ask if all the exercises were strictly Classical, apart from the ones you specifically indicated were not? If I may say so, I thought the standard was excellent, especially, the lady in black; she made it all look effortless..... ..I imagine most if not all are Teachers! Perhaps it is inappropriate to make such comments, but, I so appreciate seeing good matwork for my own learning.It is well intended, be assured.
I liked how you cued at one stage to keep the pace a little slower and controlled in order to get the best results in the body. More, of this Pilatesology Mat please.........!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 17/05/2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for asking, we debated whether to include this class because it is not something Joe ever taught. The Reformer on the Mat is a workout that Romana made up so it's not strictly Classical but we felt her influence on the method made it an appropriate addition. Your comments about everyone's skill are appreciated 🙂 --the ladies in this video are 2 teachers and 2 enthusiasts.

When doing the Swan you cue to try and keep your knees together as its better for your back. Why is it better for your back when the legs/knees are together please? Thank you very much.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 17/05/2012 8:50 pm

Hi Colin, I think you're referring to a comment I made in this video during Single Leg Kicks -- I say something like "try to keep your legs together if that's at all possible for your lower back." To answer your question though, for Swan Dive, the goal is to get the legs together but that is not necessarily better for your back. Many of us will struggle to get the legs together because of low back tightness or a host of other issues. If it is painful to bring the legs together, I simply have the person work with the legs apart until a time comes when they can bring them closer together. I'm still working on this keeping my legs together on the Swan DIve myself so it can take a long time :).

WOW! Loved this class definitely going to be put into my favorites!

Thank you for always being clear throughout the workout as to proper alignment. I learn so much from you.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 04/09/2012 5:43 pm

Thank you, I'm happy to hear my cues help!

Re-visited this class to-day. There is so much in this mat workout, even if you do practice daily!
Alisa - Your Mat Classes are a gift to the home user. Keep them coming.
Outstanding. Thanking you for your diligence.

Me love. I'm going to do it again tomorrow.

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 24/04/2013 7:20 pm

Glad you like!

After i tried and survived it (it is indeed a very strong pilates workout that I wasn't able to follow to the very end), will try to weave 'reformer on the mat' in my workouts at least once a week. It is so much worth it, wakes up the muscles i had no idea of and next day allows you to feel like a medival knight with a very heavy armour on (in particular legs parts) but all beaming. Thank you Alisa!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 19/11/2013 2:36 pm

Hi Katarzyna, I love your image of a medieval knight's armor the day after this workout, it's so true! I never knew how much 'help' the Reformer gives you until I tried this workout without the Reformer, it woke me up too. Thank you for working out with me!!

Page 1 / 2