Correcting Kyphosis...

Notifications
Clear all

Correcting Kyphosis Workshop

15 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

In this workshop aimed at teachers, Sonjé Mayo presents how to work with clients who exhibit an increased kyphosis or hunchback. She begins by detailing the causes behind this condition and then presents a simple postural assessment that you can easily do with your clients. You’ll learn exactly what apparatus, props and positions are best for improving this issue. She then demonstrates the exercises that you want to use as well as why you should skip some. Watch and you’ll feel confident teaching your overly kyphotic clients! For lessons, workshop requests and Schroth work, visit Sonjé Mayo at http://Sonjémayo.com/ . Filmed at Pilatesology Studio.

7 Answers

Thanks Sonjé, I really enjoy watching your "observe & learn sessions". They are so informative and I always learn so much. Would love to see more like this. Best, Elaine

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 12/04/2019 5:44 pm

Thank you Elaine! I am delighted that you have found this informative.

excellent, informative and useful workshop. Thank you!

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 29/04/2019 4:18 am

I am so happy that you learned from this!

Very very helpful Sonje. I used it today in a mat class I taught. Thank you so much!

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 29/04/2019 4:17 am

Wonderful! Thanks for your feedback.

Amazing! Thank you so much!Marta

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 03/05/2019 6:08 am

That makes me very happy! The more you learn, the more you grow......

So very helpful, Sonje! My golfers will be working on this for sure. Thanks!

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 10/06/2019 4:17 pm

Great! Your golfers will love you even more!!

Thank you Sonjé! I am new on Pilatesology and as a young teacher I am really happy to find your classes. I love your way and approach. I have a new client with a very strong khyphosis and this work will help me to help him stay better with is neck and posture!THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 07/11/2019 4:23 pm

Wonderful that you have joined Pilatesology! I am delighted that this has helped.
I have a lot more to share with you, so stay tuned.

Thank you Sonje, this is fabulous information, so grateful for it! One question, my husband got extremely nauseous when I put him over the mini barrel for the lower body exercises, after a few exercises it was so bad that he ended up in bed all day because of nausea. He is a fit guy. That feeling started the moment he rolled back over the barrel. What could the reason be?

Sonjé Mayo Sonjé Mayo Topic starter 30/04/2020 8:18 am

Hi Hesti,
I assume you are talking about your husband lying backwards over the barrel in the supine position?
I will be guessing as to the cause of his nausea but the vertigo and consequent nausea usually happens if one has inner ear disorders. I suffer from it occasionally.
Some of the most common causes include:

BPPV. These initials stand for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. BPPV occurs when tiny calcium particles (canaliths) clump up in canals of the inner ear. The inner ear sends signals to the brain about head and body movements relative to gravity. It helps you keep your balance.

BPPV can occur for no known reason and may be associated with age.

Meniere's disease. This is an inner ear disorder thought to be caused by a buildup of fluid and changing pressure in the ear. It can cause episodes of vertigo along with ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and hearing loss.
Symptoms include:
Feeling nauseated
Vomiting
Abnormal or jerking eye movements (nystagmus)
Headache
Sweating
Ringing in the ears or hearing loss
Symptoms can last a few minutes to a few hours or more and may come and go.

You can google the Epley maneuvre which helps a lot.

I hope this is of help.
Best,