Beginner Progressio...

Notifications
Clear all

Beginner Progression - Class 1 of 10

16 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Topic starter

Alisa Wyatt is here to start your Pilates journey with a series designed to build your practice from a basic to intermediate level. This first class focuses on the fundamentals. Sometimes called Pre-Pilates, these exercises are slow and internal but they are huge power builders that will give you the stability and control over your pelvis that makes complex movements easy. Learn how to determine the correct position of your pelvis, how to hold onto it as you move, where you should bend from when you lift your head and a few simple exercises you can memorize for a stability and strength boost that is the best athletic preparation you can do! NOTE: This workout is safe to do for those whom forward bending (flexion) and twisting the spine is contraindicated due to osteoporosis, disc injuries or other issues because it keeps the spine straight while rebuilding the core, find more videos like this one in our Spine Safe and PrePilates categories. Filmed at Pilatesology Studio.

Next Class

Quick Start Home

7 Answers

Hi Alisa,
I had surgery 5 weeks ago and am starting from ground zero this will be the ice breaker. Thank You for such clear simple steps.
Lindsay

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 21/01/2019 2:46 pm

Hi Lindsay, I'm so glad you're here! Please let me know if there's anything I can help with on your journey. 🙂

This video was so eye opening Alisa! I have a pars defect in my L5-S1 junction and my lower lumbar and sacrum have very minimal stability. The whole hands on the pelvis was so helpful to realize that there's more movement in my pelvis than probably should be! I can't really keep my hands flat without getting a space under my lower spine. Very interesting and something I will keep tabs on during my strengthening and stretching!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 05/06/2019 4:55 pm

Hi abushy17! I'm sorry I missed seeing your comment earlier but wanted to say I hope you're feeling a bit more stable by now and to let you know that it's ok if there's space under your low back. Some of us have more of a low back curve than others so while for some people the low back might be against the mat when your pelvis is aligned, for others there will be space. The important thing is to get your pelvis flat so that your pubic bone and hip bones are in the same plane. If you want to add a little something to assist with pulling in your stomach, you can fold a small towel and put it in the space under your low back. This can help your body feel where your stomach needs to be pulling in.

Hi,

I am currently suffering sciatica caused by a slightly misaligned disc in my lower back and hip misalignment, hence I am turning to Pilates in the hope that it is my saviour to constant pain :-). When you say no forward bending for disc problems, can I clarify what exactly that means. Does this essentially mean a position which would curve the spine? I’m trying to work out what I can and can’t do. Do you have an example of a position/move which you definitely would not do to help me understand. Sorry this sounds like such a silly question but I am a completely new to Pilates and want to do it right :-).

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 11/08/2019 9:23 pm

Hi Rebecca, Thank you for asking! Your question is not silly at all and I'm glad I can respond here so others can benefit too. With disc problems in general two movements are to be avoided with the spine: forward bending (bending over to pick something up is a daily life example and in Pilates The Roll Up exercise is an example) and twisting. For most disc issues, extension of the spine (arching or back-bending) is helpful in realigning and taking pressure off the disc. It's tough for me to know what your individual spine needs through the interwebs so my first advice would be to follow what a doctor or Physical Therapist has advised in terms of movement you should avoid.

The good news is that we have a bunch of classes you can do that are safe :).

1) Here's a class that you can do which is safe for you to do and may help a lot: Stop Sciatica Pain with Pilates

2) And this list is from our back pain category (you can find it in our filters under 'Focus'): Mat Classes for Back Pain. Everything in here is appropriate for your needs. Just keep in mind that sometimes you will do a half roll up where you'll use your hands to hold the back of bent knees while you begin lifting your head and shoulders off the mat. That should be fine since your low back will remain long but if you get achy or your sciatica flares up later try leaving that out for a while.

I hope this helps but please feel free to write again here or directly to me at alisa@pilatesology.com if you need more advice!

Hi Alissa!

I love your classes! I have completed your beginner progression through the 30-day basic challenge and have noticed some really great progress. I have tried to focus on technique as I have moved through the classes. I am able to successfully to complete all of the exercises in your basic progression classes except for the seal! I can't seem to hold the rollback and successfully come up. Oddly, I can stand up from the seal without much difficulty. Any tips on how I can work on this?

Thanks,

Tracy

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 20/01/2020 4:53 pm

Hi Tracy! It's great to hear you're feeling the benefits! Congrats on beginning your Pilates journey with so much success.
Here's a video where I share some tips that might make your Seal a little easier: https://pilatesology.com/classes/seal-how-to-tips-walisa/
My best advice though is to leave out the clapping and just focus on pressing your back down into the mat as you roll being sure not to throw your head back in order to initiate the movement--it should come from your stomach. If that doesn't help, try holding the back of your thighs on the outside but keep your feet together in the Seal shape. If you can roll in this position, it's just a matter of gaining a bit more flexibility and control to get to the holding the ankles position. Have fun!

Thanks for the tips, Alisa! I will keep working on it.

Beginner question: What do you recommend as to the frequency and repetition of the classes in this progression? Is it recommended to do them each day for ten days, then start over again? Thanks in advance for your help!

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 03/03/2020 1:36 pm

Hi mhampton, In order to build a habit and see changes I would recommend practicing every day but you don't need to move on to the next class until you feel like you've got a handle on the movements in the one you're on. If you find you end up really sore or overly tight, take a day off and consider going back 1 class for a bit. It can be so different for each individual so my best advice is to listen and be kind to your body but keep it movin'. Hope that helps and thanks for asking!

Thanks so much! I love the classes. 

Alisa Wyatt Alisa Wyatt Topic starter 05/03/2020 7:09 pm

You're welcome!!